XSmall
Small
Medium
Large
XLarge
XXLarge
noun_Search_345985 Created with Sketch.

Try The Paleo Diet®!

Learn more. Get recipes & meal plans. See the science.

Easy Paleo Potato Substitutes

By Stephanie Vuolo, B.A.
January 10, 2020
Louis Hansel/ Unsplash.com
Louis Hansel/ Unsplash.com

Following The Paleo Diet® doesn’t mean you have to miss out on your favorite dishes – with slight modifications you can recreate almost any of your favorite recipes. And remember, according to Dr. Cordain’s 85/15 rule as long as you eat Paleo 85 percent of the time, it's okay to indulge in your favorite non-Paleo foods the other 15 percent of time.

That said, it can still be important to find Paleo replacements to your favorite holiday dishes, food cravings, and kid-friendly snacks to make living the Paleo Lifestyle easier. Here are our best recipes to replace white potatoes!

Healthy Paleo Foods that Satisfy Cravings
By Megan Patiry

Sweet Potato Fries

While white potatoes are not Paleo, sweet potatoes are! Sweet potatoes are root vegetables in the family Convolvulaceae, or morning glory, whereas potatoes are tublers in the Solananceae, or nightshade, family. Potatoes contain several harmful substances such as saponins and lectins, which may increase your intestinal permeability and hence increase the risk of autoimmune diseases.

Our Paleo french fry recipe dusts sweet potato sticks with onion powder, chili powder, and black pepper, but you can use any Paleo spices you'd like. Cook them in an air fryer or bake at 425°F for 20-25 minutes in the oven for a delicious snack or side to any lunch or dinner.

Easy Paleo Potato Substitutes image

Garlic Mashed Cauliflower

Creamy pureed cauliflower tastes just like mashed potatoes, but is so much healthier. While cauliflower already boils faster than potatoes, you can swap fresh florets for frozen riced cauliflower to help save even more time.

This recipe only requires five ingredients for a tasty Paleo Thanksgiving staple.

Easy Paleo Potato Substitutes image

Paleo Zucchini Fritters

These crispy fritters can be served for breakfast as a substitute to hash browns or used as an easy after-school snack! Just grate, drain, fry and enjoy! You can also replace shredded zucchini with shredded sweet potatoes for more palate variety.

Easy Paleo Potato Substitutes image

Beet Chips

If you're craving something crunchy, look no further. While kale and sweet potatoes may be the classic Paleo chip, beets should not be overlooked! The natural sweetness of beets plays well with savory rosemary and lemon zest, for an easy and irresistible snack.

Easy Paleo Potato Substitutes image

Even More Articles For You

Weight Loss Study Underscores Differences Between Fad Diets and Long-Term Lifestyles
A misleading study claims fad diets are most effective for weight loss, but long-term adherence to The Paleo Diet will provide you with optimal health.
By Christopher Clark
Can the Ketogenic Diet Improve Cancer Therapy?
Ketogenic diets are becoming more and more popular – learn about the potential benefits of a ketogenic diet for cancer patients in today's blog from The Paleo Diet.
By Christopher Clark
How to Achieve Ketogenic Gains with a Paleo Diet
Learn how to achieve ketogenic gains with the paleo diet. Browse The Paleo Diet® blog to learn more about paleo meal plans, food, recipes & more!
By Dr. Marc Bubbs
Paleo Leadership
 
Trevor Connor
Trevor Connor

Dr. Loren Cordain’s final graduate student, Trevor Connor, M.S., brings more than a decade of nutrition and physiology expertise to spearhead the new Paleo Diet team.

Mark J Smith
Dr. Mark J. Smith

One of the original members of the Paleo movement, Mark J. Smith, Ph.D., has spent nearly 30 years advocating for the benefits of Paleo nutrition.

Nell Stephenson
Nell Stephenson

Ironman athlete, mom, author, and nutrition blogger Nell Stephenson has been an influential member of the Paleo movement for over a decade.

Loren Cordain
Dr. Loren Cordain

As a professor at Colorado State University, Dr. Loren Cordain developed The Paleo Diet® through decades of research and collaboration with fellow scientists around the world.