Recipe: Spicy Mussels in Tomato Sauce
Are you looking for something a little different the next time you eat? Mussels are an excellent choice if you’re looking for a change of pace from your typical Paleo meals. They are high in protein, zinc, B-12, and plenty of other vitamins and minerals. This spicy mussels in tomato sauce recipe is perfect for lunch or a light dinner.
Before serving be sure to discard any mussels that don’t open. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Seafood
- Cuisine: Mediteranian
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes, rough chopped (you want them chunky)
- 2 parsnips, peeled & rough chopped (you want them chunky)
- 1 bunch kale
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted sodium chicken stock
- 2 to 3 pounds fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook the onions in coconut oil over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium high and add parsnips, cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 2 – 3 additional minutes.
- Add tomato paste, cayenne pepper & red pepper flakes, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and kale until kale wilts, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add stock and mussels, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring once or twice to ensure mussels open and everything is coated evenly.
Keywords: paleo, mussels, tomato sauce, seafood, recipe