Rise and Shine! This breakfast dish of eggs and tomatoes, popular in Mediterranean cultures, is packed with everything you need to start your day off right. Heat up your taste buds with fresh veggies and spices, topped off with power–packed protein from free-range eggs. No wonder this dish has found its way to the tables of Paleo Diet® fans throughout the world. Serve it up with your favorite fresh fruit for a delicious way to begin your day’s adventures.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 medium sized zucchinis, julienned
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, tightly packed
- 3–4 free-range eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and jalapeno and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini, oregano, and cumin. Season with black pepper to taste.
- Once the zucchini is soft, stir in the spinach and continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the pan and pat down all cooked ingredients so the mixture is evenly distributed.
- Make 3-4 small wells in the cooked mixture and crack an egg into each.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: #Paleo Recipe #Green Shakshuka #Paleo Breakfast