The holidays are a time for our favorite “cheat” meals and treats. Followed by a renewed interest in the gym come January. It can be a tough time for those of us trying to stay healthy. But that doesn’t mean we can’t have a few holiday treats Paleo-style. Here’s some recipes to help you enjoy the festivities:
Fresh cranberries are a classic holiday staple. This Paleo perfect recipe, packed with fresh, healthy ingredients will be a delicious addition to your festive occasions. Serve it with fresh veggies, homemade kale chips, or use it as a side to pair with meat and seafood.
- 12 oz. bag fresh cranberries
- 2-3 small jalapeno peppers chopped, seeds and stems removed
- ¼ cup green onion chopped into ¼ in. pieces
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup fresh unsweetened apple juice
Combine cranberries, peppers, onion, cilantro, ginger, and lemon juice in a food processor. Choose the setting to combine ingredients until all are chopped well. While processing, slowly add lemon and apple juice. Once the salsa is the consistency you prefer, serve in a chilled bowl.
Paleo Nutty Goodness
An essential staple for anyone living a Paleo lifestyle, is the delicious variety of fresh nuts found in any local grocery store. Nuts are found in most baked holiday treats, but are unfortunately mixed with salt, sugars, flours, and processed foods that are far from Paleo. This recipe is simple to create and offers a perfect snack or appetizer for the season’s festivities.
- 1 cup each: raw walnuts, pecans, and almonds
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons each: dried rosemary, parsley, and sage
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
Preheat oven to 275 degrees. In a medium sized bowl, combine nuts with olive oil, mixing to evenly coat nuts. In a separate bowl, combine rosemary, parsley, sage, and pepper. Add spice mixture to nuts and stir gently until nuts are evenly coated.
Spread nuts onto a nonstick baking sheet, 1 layer deep. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times during baking process. Let cool before serving.
If you enjoyed these recipes and would like to find more like them, check out The Real Paleo Diet Cookbook on our website!