Dr. Loren Cordain
Dr. Loren Cordain is the world’s foremost authority on the evolutionary basis of diet and disease. Featured on Dateline NBC, the front page of the Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times, Dr. Loren Cordain is widely acknowledged as one of the world’s leading experts on the natural human diet of our Stone Age ancestors. He is the author of more than 100 peer-reviewed scientific articles and abstracts, and his research into the health benefits of Stone Age Diets for contemporary people has appeared in the world’s top scientific journals including the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the British Journal of Nutrition, and the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, among others. He is also on the Advisory Board of Paleo Magazine the first, and only, print magazine dedicated to the Paleo/Primal lifestyle and ancestral health.
Dr. Loren Cordain’s popular book, The Paleo Diet, has been widely acclaimed in both the scientific and lay communities and was fully revised in 2010. His next book, The Paleo Diet for Athletes, published in October 2005, discusses how the Paleo Diet can be modified for the high performance endurance athlete and lead to improved health and performance. His next book, The Dietary Cure for Acne, is available in paperback and as an instant download ebook. The Paleo Diet Cookbook was published in 2010 and became an instant bestseller. His most recent book, The Paleo Answer, was released in December 2011, and represents a sequel to The Revised Paleo Diet. Dr. Loren Cordain is the recipient of the Scholarly Excellence award at Colorado State University for his contributions into understanding optimal human nutrition.
Dr. Loren Cordain first became interested in nutrition during his childhood, from his mother encouraging him to eat his fruits and veggies and from his father giving him books about Stone Age people and how they lived off the land from wild plants and animals. In the late ‘60s and early ‘70s, he was involved in intercollegiate athletics and became more interested in diets that could improve his performance. He read a wide variety of popular, and now classic, health books on vegetarian dieting such as Frances Moore Lappe’s book, Diet for a Small Planet, and books by Norman Walker, Paavo Airola, and others.
Later, as a graduate student at the University of Nevada-Reno, and as a doctoral student at the University of Utah, he became involved in research involving body fat measurements. As a young professor at Colorado State University, Dr. Loren Cordain initiated a wide variety of research projects involving diet and athletic performance with the help of his graduate students. He was introduced to the Paleo Diet concept in about 1987 when he read Dr. Boyd Eaton’s seminal New England Journal of Medicine paper, “Paleolithic Nutrition.” It made perfect sense to him at the time, and he voraciously read everything he could about the concept and related topics. A number of years later, he gave Dr. Eaton a call and invited him to speak at Colorado State University. They hit it off after their meeting, began writing together, and the rest can be found in the scientific literature.
Dr. Loren Cordain received his Ph.D. in Health from the University of Utah in 1981, his master’s in physical education from the University of Nevada-Reno in 1978, and his bachelor’s in health sciences from Pacific University in 1974. He was a professor in the Department of Health and Exercise Science at Colorado State University from 1982 – 2013. Dr. Loren Cordain is married to Lorrie Cordain, together they have three sons.
|Professor||Colorado State University, Department of Health and Exercise Science, College of Applied Human Sciences||1990-2013|
|Director, Human Performance Lab||1981-1997|
|Director, Graduate Studies||1983-1996|
|Sabbatical Leaves||1989, 1996, 2003|
|Graduate Research Assistant||University of Utah||1979-1981|
|Graduate Teaching Assistant||University of Nevada-Reno||1976-1978|
American College for Advancement in Medicine
American College for Advancement in Medicine (ACAM)
American College for Advancement in Medicine (ACAM)
American College of Cardiology
American College of Sports Medicine, Rocky Mountain Chapter
American Neutraceutical Association
American Nutraceutical Association
American Nutrition Association (ANA)
American Society of Bariatric Physicians (ASBP)
Annual Hypertension Symposium, Hypertension Institute
British Society for Ecological Medicine
California State Polytechnic University
Colorado Trust Healthy People
CrossFit Huntington Beach
CrossFit New England
Danish Institute of Human Nutrition, University of Copenhagen
Design for Health Institute
European Academy of Dermatology and Venerology (EADV)
Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB)
Florida Dietetic Association
Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition, Inc.
Front Range Crossfit
German CMA International Nutrition Forum
Harvard Center for Cancer Prevention
Harvard School of Public Health
Humboldt University Graduate School of Mind and Brain
International College of Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine (ICHNFM)
International Congress on Natural Medicine
Kansas State Dermatology Society
LaLanne Fitness Powered by CrossFit
McGill University Center for Cancer Prevention
National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Colorado Chapter
Natural Body Building Federation, Master’s Program, Rome, Italy
Nieuwegein, Netherlands; Van Nature, Paleo Diet Symposium
North Carolina State University
Nutrition for Optimal Health Association (NOHA)
Nutrition Society of Australia
Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors (OAND)
Optometric Nutrition Society
Orange County Employee Benefit Council (OCEBC)
Palmer College of Chiropractic
Pennsylvania State University College of Agricultural Sciences
Pikes PeakCrossFit Gym
Robert Crayhon Research
Rocky Mountain Cardio Pulmonary Rehabilitation Association
Saint Luke’s Health System
Society for Investigative Dermatology
The Australian Nutrition Society
The Boomers Rock Radio Show
Ultrafit Triathlete Associates
United States Air Force Academy
University of Arkansas
University of California-Davis
University of Colorado at Denver
University of Gerona, European Master, Clinical Psychoneuroimmunology
University of Graz, Graz Austria; European Master, Clinical Psychoneuroimmunology
University of Lisbon, School of Pharmacy
University of Missouri St. Louis College of Optometry
University of Westminster, London School of Integrated Health
University of Wyoming, Department of Anthropology
Vision Institute of Canada, Toronto Continuing Education Program for Optometrists
W Radio 690/Prisa Media
Wall Street Journal
Wyoming Medical Center
Awards and Honors
- The American College for Advancement in Medicine’s annual “Denham Harmon Lecture,” May 2004. This lecture is awarded to a scientist whose research was judged to have the greatest national impact upon complementary medical care by the American College for Advancement in Medicine.
- Scholarly Excellence Award, College of Applied Human Sciences, April 2002.
- Nomination to “American Men and Women of Science,” Fall 1994.
- Nomination to Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, 12 October 1993.
- Supervisor, M. Bizeau’s Master’s thesis, “Metabolic Responses to Submaximal and Maximal Exercise Following Three Weeks of Dietary Fish Oil Supplementation” which was chosen to represent CSU from a University-wide selection process at the Midwest Association of Graduate Schools, 1993 Distinguished Master’s thesis award.
- Supervisor, H. Reynolds’ Master’s thesis, “Influence of Post-Exercise Glucose Ingestion on Plasma Potassium Levels and ECG Measurements,” which was chosen to represent CSU from a university-wide selection process at the Midwest Association of Graduate Schools, 1992 Distinguished Master’s thesis award.
- Induction into the University of Nevada-Reno, Sports Hall of Fame, 10 October 1991.
- College of Professional Studies, Faculty Service Award (Department of Physical Education Outstanding Teacher), Fall 1984.
- Colorado State University Chapter, Phi Delta Kappa, Outstanding Researcher Award, 1983.
- College of Professional Studies, Faculty Service Award (Department of Physical Education Outstanding Teacher), Fall 1982.
- Colorado State University Alumni Award for Outstanding Faculty Member in the College of Professional Studies, Spring Commencement, 1982.
- Assistant Coach, AIAW Small College National Swimming and Diving Champions, 1979.
Dr. Loren Cordain and The Paleo Diet, LLC do not provide consultation services to groups or individuals seeking advice, opinions, or guidance for preexisting health conditions and/or business development for dietetics or lifestyle programs related to The Paleo Diet.