When we think Mexican cooking, visions of not-so-Paleo foods and drink pop into our minds. Don’t despair, this taco soup is the perfect answer to your spicy cravings, allowing you to happily stay true to your healthy Paleo lifestyle. Preparation is fast and easy and will fill your kitchen with its south of the border aromas. Paired with a side of tropical fruit, makes for a meal that will surely become one of your favorites.Print
Recipe: Slow Cooker Paleo Taco Soup
When we think of Mexican cuisine, visions of not-so-Paleo foods and drinks likely enter our minds. Don’t despair—this taco soup is the perfect answer to your spicy cravings, allowing you to happily stay true to your healthy Paleo lifestyle. Preparation is fast and easy and will fill your kitchen with its south-of-the-border aromas. Paired with a side of tropical fruit, this soup makes for a meal that will surely become one of your favorites.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 people 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound beef or chicken, ground
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (optional)
- 1 4.5-ounce can green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups no sodium broth (beef or chicken)
- 2 fresh limes cut into wedges for each serving
Optional additions just before serving: jalapeño slices, cilantro, and avocado
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium flame.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Break up the ground meat, place in the pan, and continue cooking until thoroughly browned.
- Transfer meat mixture to slow cooker.
- Add bell peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, chipotle peppers, green chilies, spices and pepper to the pot.
- Pour in broth and cover. Cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- To serve: Ladle hot soup into bowls and squeeze lime juice into each.
- Add optional ingredients if desired.
Keywords: paleo, slow cooker, taco, soup