This mouth-watering recipe stands out among the 250 healthy Paleo recipes in the The Real Paleo Diet Cookbook by Dr. Loren Cordain and Lorrie Cordain. Combining two great options in any healthy Paleo Diet® – scallops and beets – this is a meal that can be enjoyed at any time of the year.
For a beautiful golden crust, be sure the surface of the scallops is really dry—and that the pan is nice and hot—before adding them to the pan. Also, let the scallops sear without disturbing them for 2 to 3 minutes, carefully checking before turning.
- 1 lb fresh or frozen sea scallops, patted dry with paper towels
- 3 medium red beets, peeled and cut chopped
- ½ Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Ground white pepper
- Thaw scallops, if frozen.
For beet relish, in a medium bowl combine beets, apple, jalapeños, cilantro, onion, 2 tablespoonsrnrnof the olive oil, and lime juice. Mix well. Set aside while preparing scallops.
- Rinse scallops; pat dry with paper towels. In a large skillet heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olivernrnoil over medium-high heat. Add scallops; sauté for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown on the rnrnexterior and barely opaque. Sprinkle scallops lightly with white pepper.
- To serve, divide beet relish evenly among serving plates; top with scallops. Serve immediately.