Spring Chicken Paleo Style
The Paleo Diet lifestyle is your key to staying young and healthy, just like a spring chicken! This delicious dish paired with the fresh veggies and spices, is sure to put a spring in your step. Pair it with your favorite fresh seasonal fruit for the perfect meal, anytime of the day.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Poultry
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken quarters
- 1 red onion, ends cut off and peeled
- 2 tsp herbs d’ Provence
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- zest from 2 lemons
- 2 small zucchinis
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned
- 1-pound asparagus
- 1 fresh lemon quartered
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, pour in olive oil to evenly coat and add the chicken thighs. Sear both sides of chicken to a caramelized brown. Remove the chicken thighs and place them, with the bone side down, in a 9″x13″ baking dish. Pour in any chicken fat rendered from the searing of the meat.
- Cut the onion in half and place each half flat side down on a cutting board. Slice each onion half into 1/2″ half moons. Separate the onions slightly as you scatter them over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the herbs d’ Provence, minced garlic, and lemon zest evenly over the chicken. Place the chicken in the preheated oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes – the timing will depend on the size of your chicken thighs.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the veggies. Cut the ends from the zucchini and cut them into quarters lengthwise. Next cut across the quartered zucchini to make 1/2″ thick triangular pieces. Slice the mushrooms and trim any tough ends from the asparagus.
- Once the chicken has cooked, removed the pan from the oven and scatter the sliced zucchini and mushrooms evenly around the chicken. Arrange the asparagus spears around the chicken. Place the pan back in the oven and roast until the veggies are just tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Use lemon wedges for squeezing fresh juice over chicken and veggies as desired.
Keywords: Spring Chicken, Paleo Recipe, fresh veggies