Blueberry and Roasted Beet Kale Salad
This salad is a nutritional powerhouse. with beets, kale, and blueberries, it’s loaded with antioxidants, iron, calcium, vitamins, minerals, and anti-inflammatory compounds. And if you’re looking to increase your potassium intake, look no further. It’s easily converted from a side into a main dish—just add 4 ounces of cooked salmon, chicken, pork, or beef to each salad.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 People 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 3 medium beets (about 12 ounces total), trimmed, peeled, and cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil or flaxseed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or thyme
- 3 cups torn fresh romaine lettuce
- 2 cups torn fresh kale
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped*
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a 15×10×1-inch baking pan toss beet wedges with the 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cover with foil. Roast for 10 minutes. Remove foil; add onions, tossing to combine. Roast, uncovered, about 20 minutes more or until beets and onion are tender.
- For dressing, in a blender combine 2 of the roasted beet wedges, the vinegar, 6 tablespoons olive oil, and the rosemary. Cover and blend until very smooth, scraping sides ofbowlas necessary.
- Divide romaine and kale among four serving plates. Top with the remaining roasted beets and the onion. Drizzle evenly with dressing. Sprinkle with blueberries and hazelnuts. *Tip: To toast hazelnuts, preheat oven to 350°F. Spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring once to toast evenly. Cool nuts slightly. Place the warm nuts on a clean kitchen towel; rub with the towel to remove the loose skins.
Read More in Our Series on Sodium and Potassium in the Diet:
By Mark J. Smith, PhD
By Dr. Marc Bubbs ND, MSc, CISSN, CSCS
By Trevor Connor, M.S.
Keywords: #Paleo Diet, #Blueberry Salad, #Roasted Beet Kale Salad