October has arrived in all its glory at The Paleo Diet and we have been harvesting our organic garden to create fresh, nutritious dishes. After tending faithfully to our plants, we are reaping the rewards and sharing them with friends and family. Many have asked for ideas and recipes for garden ingredients. This month, we’ll be sharing our Fall Harvest recipes with our Paleo Diet followers. Enjoy!
Steak comes alive with the flavor of Paleo Chimichurri – a bright green Argentinian herb sauce. Pair it with a spicy cauliflower dish to make this a meal to remember!
Makes 2 servings
- 2 grass-fed beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 1 inch thick
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and thinkly sliced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10-ounce package fresh cauliflower florets
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Chimichurri Sauce
Sprinkle both sides of steaks with black pepper. Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat 10 to 12 minutes for medium rare (145°F) or 12 to 15 minutes for medium (160°F), turning once halfway through grilling. (Or cook steaks on a stove-top grill pan over medium heat.)
Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil over medium high-heat. Add onion and crushed red pepper; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until onion softens and begins to brown. Add garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add cauliflower and the water; cover and cook 6 to 8 minutes or just until cauliflower is tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until liquid has evaporated. Remove skillet from heat; stir in lemon juice.
Serve steaks with Chimichurri Sauce and cauliflower and a fresh green Paleo salad.
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cups lightly packed cilantro
- ½ cup lightly packed mint
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (6 cloves)
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 dried unsulfured apricots, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
In a food processor or blender combine all ingredients. Process until ingredients are finely chopped and combined, scraping sides as necessary. Use immediately or freeze in desired portions up to 3 months in tightly covered containers.
*From: Real Paleo Fast and Easy by Loren Cordain PhD. Get more great recipes at The Paleo Diet Store